Today I have Madison from The Wetherills Say I do sharing an amazing broccoli recipe! Thanks for being here, love.
This roasted broccoli with orange, ginger and garlic is so easy to make and will be a delicious side dish for dinner.
Believe it or not, I haven’t always been a fan of broccoli. There were a lot of foods I didn’t care for growing up and veggies were definitely one of those foods. When I studied abroad in Italy, I really learned to like a lot of foods- vegetables especially. It was something about the freshness of veggies over in Europe that encouraged me to try them more often and turns out I really liked them!
Ever since, I’ve been making broccoli as one of my favorite side dishes. It goes perfectly with so many dishes, from baked meat to pasta to casseroles. I used to only make it one simple way, baked with salt and pepper. But then I realized how versatile broccoli is and came up with a super fun flavor combination!
Adding orange and ginger to broccoli gives it a sweet and spicy feel. Fresh ginger has always been an ingredient I’ve been curious to use and it was the perfect to try it out for this recipe.
In case you’ve never used ginger before, the best way to peel it is by using a spoon. Simply place the tip of the spoon on the ginger, put your thumb over the back of the soon and pull towards your body. You’ll see the peel come off first then you can either cut pieces off or use a grater to get small pieces of the ginger off the root.
- 2-3 crowns of broccoli, cut into florets
- 1 tablespoon fresh orange zest
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger root
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- juice from 1 orange
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 400
- Spray a baking sheet or Pyrex dish with cooking spray, set aside
- Wash and cut broccoli crowns into florets, set aside
- Roll orange on counter top for 10 seconds
- Cut orange in half
- Use zester or grater along orange peel of one half of the orange into a small bowl
- Peel ginger root and zest or grate into another small bowl
- In a medium size bowl, squeeze half of orange, removing any seeds
- Add in 1 tablespoon orange zest and 1 tablespoon ginger to orange juice
- Add olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper to orange juice mixture, mix to combine
- Add broccoli to mixture and toss to coat
- Place broccoli onto baking sheet
- Bake for 25-30 minutes
The flavor combinations in this side dish are just adventurous enough, but the broccoli flavor will still shine through. You’ll be able to use this side dish recipe over and over again!
Madison is a life + food blogger at The Wetherills Say I Do. She has a passion for cooking and teaching others how to make cooking and hospitality stress free. Find more of her recipes and hospitality tips on her blog.