Today is Monthly Ingredient Challenge Day! This month’s challenge ingredient was caramel, which is one of my true weaknesses in life. I decided to share these delicious pecan and caramel chocolate muffins, just in time for the holidays. Rich with chocolate, loaded with crunchy pecans, and drizzled with yummy caramel, these muffins are a house favorite.
Plus, do you know what I love about muffins? They’re cupcakes that are acceptable to eat for breakfast. If I unwrap a cupcake and eat it early in the morning, people look at me funny. But, if I eat a muffin, no one bats an eye. That’s exactly why muffins have become one of my favorite food groups (they can have an entire food group to themselves, right?). I’ve been making a lot of muffins lately (purely for experimental purposes…), and these Pecan and Caramel Chocolate Muffins have moved to the front as my new favorite muffins!
The best part about these beauties is that from start-to-finish they only took me 30 minutes to make. That’s mind-boggling for a baking recipe! I had these muffins cooling on the counter by minute 28… impressive, right? That means that you can make them as a last minute dessert, or as a delicious breakfast right when you wake up, and you won’t have to wait too long to dig in!
I also had everything I needed for these right in my pantry and fridge, which is always wonderful.
Now let’s get to the good stuff: how to make these yummy muffins!
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup cocoa powder (I Used Hershey's)
- ½ cup granulated white sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅓ cup chopped pecans
- ¾ cup 2% milk
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- 1 large egg, beaten
- Extra chopped pecans for topping
- Caramel for drizzle
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Line 12 cupcake tins with cupcake wrappers.
- Combine flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and pecans in a bowl. Whisk until mixed.
- Add milk, vegetable oil and egg to a standing mixer. Mix until combined.
- Slowly add dry ingredients to mixer, while mixing on low setting. Mix until just combined.
- Fill muffins tins ¾ full.
- Bake 18-20 minutes (18 was plenty for me!).
- Let cool on the counter.
- Drizzle caramel and top with chopped pecans (optional).
- Dig in!