Happy Monday everyone! I hope all you lovely moms had a wonderful mother’s day. I’m not a mother yet, though I do have many fur babies and scale babies and spiky babies that showed me lots of love
Aurora did make me a lovely card though. For those of you who don’t know, Aurora is my boyfriend’s daughter who I’ve been living with for two years now. She’s a real sweetheart and she made me a card saying how much she appreciates everything I do for her. It’s nice to feel loved and appreciated, isn’t it?
Alright on to what I’ve got to share with you today. This Lemon Arugula Salad is hands down my favorite salad right now–the flavors are seriously unbelievable.
The real star of this show is the steak marinade. Oh. my. gosh. It’s an insanely yummy combination of fresh lemon juice, soy sauce, olive oil, chopped garlic and brown sugar. And if I had to pick five favorite ingredients in the kitchen.. those five would be them. So I don’t even think I need to explain to you how much I love this marinade.
And the best part is, after the marinade is done seeping its deliciousness into the steak, we don’t just toss it in the garbage and say our goodbyes. We boil it, and chill it, and use it as the salad dressing. And that right there is why this is my favorite salad right now–the dressing. I could literally put it in a cup and drink it, but in the past that has gotten me weird looks and sly judgments, so I’ll just stick to pouring it all over this glorious salad instead.
It’s just all so good. So very, very good.
Don’t just take my word though, this is one recipe you’re going to need to try. At least not for yourself, do it for me. Make this marinade, and then drink it up with a straw (er, okay, don’t do that… just put it on your salad), and then come back and proclaim your love to me for introducing you to it.
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ cup soy sauce
- ⅓ cup fresh lemon juice
- 4 tablespoons packed light-brown sugar
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1.5-2 pounds flank steak
- 5 oz. box/bag of baby arugula
- 10.5 oz. box of grape tomatoes
- ⅓ cup walnuts (optional)
- Lemon wedges, for serving
- Whisk together the oil, soy sauce, lemon juice, brown sugar & garlic in a bowl. Put the steak in a gallon-size Ziploc bag and pour marinade all over the steak. Seal the bag and shake it up!
- Let marinade 30 mins.- 1 hour at room temperature (If you marinade for longer than this, marinade in the fridge, but bring back to room temperate prior to grilling. I only marinade it for 30 minutes, and it still tastes amazing!)
- Heat grill to medium-high, remove steak from bag (reserving marinade) and grill to your liking, turning once (4-10 minutes each side, depending on how well you like your steak cooked)
- Transfer to a cutting board and let rest for 10 minutes
- While the steak is cooking, add the marinade to a small sauce pan. Bring to a boil and boil for 3 minutes. Remove from heat, transfer to a serve bowl, and store in fridge until ready.
- Slice meat against the grain into strips.
- Add arugula to a salad bowl, top with steak slices.
- Top with tomatoes, walnuts and lemon wedges.
- Drizzle dressing all over.
- Dig in!
Adapted from This Mama Cooks