Guess what, guess what, guess what! It’s Monthly Ingredient Challenge day!! On the 25th of each month, a bunch of my blog friends and I get together and make a recipe using a certain ingredient. Last month was peanut butter and I made some delicious Peanut Butter & Jelly Bacon Burger Sliders.
This month, the ingredient was bacon! This was the easiest challenge yet, being that I put bacon in everything. But I didn’t want to do just any bacon recipe–I wanted to push the boundaries and think outside of the box. I’ve always wanted to make a cheeseball, but never really had an excuse to. I used this opportunity to create the most delicious cheeseballs in the history of cheeseballs.
There is so much deliciousness in this greek cheeseball that I literally do not know how to describe it. It’s like… if the king of cheese and the king of Greece got together, this is what they would eat.
First of all, the center of the ball is a mix of cream cheese, feta cheese, kalamata olives and bacon. Then, that ball of deliciousness is rolled in a mixture of kalamata olives, sundried tomatoes, bacon, basil, and walnuts.
It’s like an explosion of flavors spread on a cracker.
For challenge purposes I just made this for Steve and I to enjoy (er, um, yeah we devoured it), but this is the perfect appetizer for entertaining. I love cheese spreads, and this just takes a cheese spread to the next level.
The best part about this recipe? Except for all of the incredible things I’ve already listed, is that you don’t have to cook anything! You throw it together, let it chill in the refrigerator, and then eat it! It’s like a wonderball… of cheese.
So, let’s get to the recipe!
- For the ball:
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- ⅓ cup crumbled feta cheese
- ¼ cup chopped kalamata olives
- ⅛ cup sundried tomatoes
- 2 strips of bacon, cooked and crumbled
- For the outside:
- ⅓ cup chopped basil
- ⅓ cup sundried tomatoes
- ⅓ cup kalamta olives
- 5 pieces of bacon, cooked and crumbled
- ¼ cup chopped walnuts
- Mix together all of the ingredient for the ball until well-combined (if you have a standing mixer, use your paddle attachment)
- Roll the mixture into a ball, cover with saran wrap, and refrigerate for 20 mins
- Mix together all of the ingredient for the outside and lay them out on a cutting board
- Take the ball and roll it in the mixture until the outside is completely covered
- Cover ball with saran wrap and refrigerate for 1.5 hours
- Dig in!