I love Monthly Ingredient Challenge Day! If you’re new to these neck of the woods, let me explain to you what this day means. Every month, a group of wonderful food bloggers and I all make a recipe using one common ingredient. Fun, right?! I love the challenge of this, but what I love more is seeing what everyone comes up with! It’s amazing how many different recipes you can make with one common ingredient.
This month’s ingredient was cream cheese. Now, I make a lot of cheesecakes, and I love everything about cheesecake, but I wanted to branch out and do something to step out of my go-to cheesecake comfort zone.
These feta and bacon stuffed mushrooms were just the ticket.
Growing up, my grandmother made stuffed mushrooms for holidays (specifically Thanksgiving) and they were the food I looked forward to the most. This recipe is different from hers (and I plan to share her’s soon), but dare I say almost as delicious?
There’s something about feta and bacon that just makes me happy. If you’ve tried my Bacon and Feta Macaroni and Cheese, you know what I mean.
The filling of these stuffed mushrooms only takes a few minutes to whip up, and then you just stuff each mushroom full of the cream cheese goodness, bake for 15 minutes, and stuff your face.
- 12 white mushrooms
- 5 strips of bacon
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 oz. cream cheese, softened
- ½ cup feta cheese
- Basil to taste
- Preheat oven to 350
- Cook bacon until crispy, set aside on a paper towel
- Wash mushrooms and remove mushroom stems
- Chop mushroom stems and combine with chopped garlic
- Heat oil in a small skillet over medium heat
- Add mushrooms and garlic to the skillet, cook for 2 minutes (stirring occasionally)
- Remove skillet from heat
- Add cream cheese to a standing mixer, mix on medium for 1 minute
- Add feta and mix until combined (30 seconds-1 minute)
- Crumble bacon and add to the mixer, mix for 30 seconds
- Add mushroom stems and garlic, mix for 30 seconds
- Spoon mixture into mushroom centers, using all of the mixture
- Sprinkle each mushroom with dried basil
- Bake in oven for 15-18 minutes
- Dig in!
Now go check out all the amazingly delicious cream cheese recipes from the rest of the bloggers! I can’t wait to try them all.