If there’s one thing you should know about me, it’s that I’m a huuuge dessert girl. I love ice cream, I love pie, I love cake, I love candy. Basically I love everything with sugar. So, with that said, when I say something is my favorite dessert, that’s a big deal. And I don’t use the word “favorite” lightly.
With that clarification out of the way, let me tell you that these chocolate, coconut & graham cracker bars are by far my favorite dessert of all time and have been since I was a little girl. This is my mom’s specialty dessert (she’s a little famous for them), and we call them magic bars, since they literally taste like magic. So, when I heard the ingredient for June’s installment of our Monthly Ingredient Challenge was coconut, I knew right away what I wanted to make.
Let me tell you how big of a deal these chocolate bars are: Every year my mom brings a batch (or three) of these to Thanksgiving. However, one year we had a particularly busy year and my mom didn’t have time to make them. She was shunned and almost kicked out of Thanksgiving (just kidding… sort of).
But seriously, the layers of buttery graham cracker crumbs topped with sweet coconut & chocolate, and then topped with condensed milk and baked ’till perfection… yummmmmmmmy. That’s enough to make anyone go crazy.
And yes, you read that list correctly–there are only five ingredients in this dessert. It’s extremely simple to make, which means now you can make them everyday, right?
- ¾ cup butter, melted
- 2½ cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1 cup coconut shavings
- 12 oz. bag of Nestle milk chocolate morsels
- 14 oz. can of sweetened condensed milk
- Preheat oven to 350
- Grease the sides and bottom of a 9 x 13 inch glass pan
- In a bowl, combine the graham cracker crumbs and butter--mix with a spoon until graham crackers are evenly coated with butter
- Cover the bottom of the pan with graham cracker mix--press down with your thumb on graham crackers to form a firm layer
- Spread the coconut across the graham cracker layer
- Spread the chocolate across the coconut layer
- Evenly coat with condensed milk
- Bake for 35-40 mins, or until golden brown
Now go head on over to the other blogs and check out the rest of the recipes in this month’s ingredient challenge. Coconut everywhere! yum, yum, yum.