On Saturday mornings I literally want to roll out of bed and stay in my pajamas for hours. It’s just a day that’s meant for pajamas, ya know? But when I was going to cook breakfast, I remembered that we had no eggs, no toast, no oatmeal, no fruit, no anything. It was sad how badly I needed to go food shopping, but there was absolutely no way I was getting out of my pajamas. Zilch. None. Zero chance. Luckily, we have about 8 lbs. of bacon in our freezer (Stephen’s first and main love) which came in the clutch. I also had a bag of red potatoes and cheese. Challenge accepted.
I made a big plate of these for Aurora and Stephen (I don’t eat potatoes. I know, it’s terrible–don’t hate me), and I’m pretty sure Stephen reluctantly gave Aurora a few potatoes and then licked the plate clean. I definitely hit a breakfast home run and gained many girlfriend points with this dish.
But the best part about this red potato recipe is that it can easily be used as a side as well. I’m picturing them going perfectly with a big, juicy burger. You too? Great, I’ll invite you over for our next BBQ!
First, start with 6 red potatoes and cut them into about 1-inch pieces. Place them in a glass, microwaveable dish.
When the potatoes are done microwaving, take them out and allow them to cool for 3 minutes. Simultaneously, heat 3 tablespoons of butter on a medium-large skillet over medium heat. Add potatoes to the skillet along with 1 teaspoon onion powder, 1 teaspoon garlic powder and 1 teaspoon seasoned salt. Stir until potatoes are seasoned.
Sautee for 7-10 minutes (you know when they’re about done when the outsides of the potatoes are a nice golden brown). When you have about 1 minute left, add crumbled bacon and 1/4 cup cheddar cheese. When cheese is melted, remove from skillet and serve warm.
- 6 Red Potatoes
- 5 Slices of Bacon
- ⅓ cup Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- 3 Tablespoons Butter
- 1 Teaspoon Onion Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Seasoned Salt
- Cut red potatoes into 1-inch pieces, place in glass microwaveable bowl and microwave for 10 minutes
- Cook bacon in skillet until crispy--set aside on a paper towel when cooked
- When potatoes are done, take them out and allow them to cool for 3 minutes
- Heat butter in a medium-large skillet over medium heat
- Add potatoes, onion powder, garlic powder, and seasoned salt (stir to season)
- Sautee for 7-10 minutes, stirring about every two minutes
- When about 1 minute is left, add crumbled bacon and cheese
- Cook until cheese is melted
- Dig in!