A few month’s back I went on a “girl’s date” with some of friends to a fancy restaurant that none of our men would’ve liked (but we thoroughly enjoyed) called Mizado Cocina. It was a restaurant with eclectic foods with Latin American influences, hand-mashed salsas, and homemade ceviches. One particular thing on the menu caught our eyes as soon as we got there though: Guacamole India. It was an avocado based guacamole with bananas, cumin, and a date and cashew chutney. It just sounded so intriguing that we needed to try it. And I’m so excited we did.
They obviously don’t tell you how to make their super, secret recipes at the restaurant, so I decided to make my own. I knew enough of the ingredients they used and enough of the tweaks that I wanted to make to it to make it perfect.
Just a heads up, I wanted this recipe to be simple, so I opted out of the date and cashew chutney. There are still chopped cashews in it, but no dates. Let me know if any of you are adventurous enough to make the chutney and let me know how it goes! I would love to hear about it, and I’m sure I’ll try to tackle it in the near future. But in the meantime, here’s the guacamole that will change your life.
- 4 Haas avocados, halved, seeded and peeled
- ½-3/4 a banana, peeled
- 3 tablespoons chopped cashews
- ½ a lime
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- Add the avocados and the juice of ½ a lime to a bowl.
- Mash the avocados with a potato masher until fairly smooth (I like a little bit of chunk).
- Add the garlic salt, cumin and chopped cashews and mash or stir until well combined.
- Chop the banana into bite sized pieces and add to the bowl.
- Mix well.
- Let cool in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
- Dig in!