If you follow me on Instagram, you may have seen the beautiful mixer I received for Christmas from Stephen. I’ve been eying a KitchenAid mixer for a while, but I had no idea I was getting one. I was so surprised and so excited–I almost cried. And yes, it’s OK to cry over a mixer.
This is the very first recipe I made with that mixer. And what a doozy to start with! These rolls are seriously incredible. First of all, I really, really love bread. Second of all, I really, really, really love homemade bread. So these rolls were destined to be loved from the start–but then I decided to make them Bacon & Ranch flavored, and then nothing else in the world mattered except these pull-apart rolls.
If you’re intimidated to make your own bread (like I was once upon a time), don’t be! It’s honestly an easy process and so worth it. Pulling bread out of the oven and eating it when it’s fresh and warm will change your life.
Start by cooking 3-5 pieces of bacon on a skillet until crispy. Set aside.
Dissolve 1 package of active dry yeast in 1 cup of warm water in your mixing bowl. Add 1/4 cup melted butter, 2 cups flour, 2 tablespoons sugar, 2 teaspoons salt, 1/2 teaspoon thyme, 1/2 teaspoon oregano, and 1 tablespoon ranch dressing mix. Crumble your bacon and add.
Attach the bowl and your PowerKnead Spiral Dough Hook to mixer. Mix on Speed 2 until well blended.
Add 1 more cup of flour (adding just 1/2 cup at a time). Mix for about 1 minute in between each 1/2 cup added. Once all of the flour is added, mix until the dough starts to clean the sides of the bowl (about 4 minutes). Dough should be smooth and elasticy now.
Transfer the dough to a greased bowl, turning the dough to make sure it’s evenly greased. Cover with saran wrap and let rise in a warm place (I stick mine in the microwave so that the dog won’t get to it). Let rise for 1 hour–the dough should double in bulk.
Now, punch down the dough. Remove from bowl and place on a flat surface. Roll it out into a 12 x 9 x 1/4″ rectangle. Brush the dough with 1/4 cup melted butter.
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water
- 3-5 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- ½ cup melted butter
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon ranch dressing mix
- 2 teaspoons salt
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- ½ teaspoon thyme
- Dissolve yeast in warm water in mixing bowl
- Add ¼ cup butter, 2 cups flour, ranch dressing mix, crumbled bacon, sugar, salt, oregano and thyme
- Attach bowl & PowerKnead Spiral Dough Hook to mixer
- Mix on Speed 2 until well combined
- Add remaining flour, ½ cup at a time. Mix on Speed 2 for one minute in between adding another ½ cup
- Keep mixing until dough cleans sides of bowl and is smooth and elasticy (about 4 minutes)
- Place dough in a greased bowl, turning over dough to coat evenly with grease
- Cover with clear wrap and place in a draft-free place to rise for an hour (I put mine in the microwave)--the dough will double in size
- Punch dough down. Remove from bowl and roll out into a 12 x 9 x ¼" rectangle
- Brush the dough with remaining butter
- Use a pizza cutter to slice dough into six 1½ 12 inch strips
- Stacks strips
- Cut into 1" pieces
- Place pieces in greased muffin pans
- Cover, let rise for 45 minutes
- Bake at 400 for 15-20 minutes
- Take rolls out of tins immediately after baking and let cool on a wire rack
- Dig in!